PUMPS - TYPES & OPERATION - OTHER TYPES OF ROTARY PUMPS
Written by Norrie
Saturday, 27 March 2010 14:10
Page 13 of 17
OTHER TYPES OF ROTARY PUMPS
The following types of pump have similar characteristics to the gear pump and require no further explanation other than the diagrams.
A. 2. THE ' LOBE ' PUMP
A. 3. THE ' SLIDING VANE ' PUMP
A. 4. THE 'SCREW' PUMP
(See Figures : 26, 27 & 28)
Figure: 26 - Lobe Pump
Figure: 27 -Sliding Vane Pump
Figure : 28 – The Screw Pump
Advantages of Rotary Pumps
- They can deliver liquid to high pressures.
- Self - priming.
- Give a relatively smooth output, (especially at high speed).
- Positive Acting.
- Can pump viscous liquids.
Disadvantages of Rotary Pumps
- More expensive than centrifugal pumps.
- Should not be used for fluids containing suspended solids.
- Excessive wear if not pumping viscous material.
- Must NEVER be used with the discharge closed.
Last Updated on Saturday, 27 March 2010 15:27